We’ve all been there – the nervous first date. You meet up with your victim/date and sit down to chat over a coffee. But, after a while you’ve exhausted the regular questions like “so, what do you do for a living?” and “lovely weather, isn’t it?” There’s an awkward silence as you both reach for the last digestive biscuit…
To help you, I’ve come up with a handy list of questions that you can ask your date, to get the conversation moving again.
Here’s some good ones:
- What is your dream job?
- Do you have any interesting collections?
- If you could wake up tomorrow with any ability, what would you choose?
- If you throw a cat out of a car window, does it become kitty litter?
- If a cow laughed, would milk come out of its nose?
- If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?
And here’s some alternative ones:
- That’s a lovely outfit… have you always been colour blind?
- You have a really interesting haircut… how much sponsorship money have you raised?
- So, how long have you been in the witness relocation programme?
- Are you a nun? Do you have any bad habits? (ok, that was a terrible joke)
- Have you given names to all of your head lice or just the special ones?
- Have you ever been on a date, but found that there was no spark? Well, you won’t get that problem with me – I’m an arsonist!
- Is that piercing supposed to be there or has someone attacked you with a staple gun?
- So, how long have you owned your womble costume?
- I highly recommend colonic irrigation – have you ever tried it?
- Have you always had a moustache… I’m not sure it goes with that blouse?
- Why are you staring at me like that – haven’t you ever seen a naked man before?
- Have you ever had the feeling you were being watched? No, good… (quickly change subject)
- Has anyone ever told you that when you laugh, you sound like the woman from the Krankies? Come to think of it, you don’t look too dissimilar either…
- I’ve been trying to figure it out all night… are those breasts real?
- So, what do you think of my “I Shag On The First Date” t-shirt?
- Has anyone ever told you that you have very big hands for a lady… and is that an adams apple?
- Did I mention that I’m Gillian McKeith’s younger brother? If you’d like to take a crap into this plastic box, I’ll tell you what’s wrong with your diet…
- Have you ever considered plastic surgery? I mean, they can do wonders with noses these days!
- Have you met my imaginary friend Phillip? Say hello, Phillip…
- Where would you like to go for our honeymoon – I was thinking Morocco…?
This blog post features in the onlinedating.org 45 articles on questions to ask before the first date article.